Saturday, October 07, 2006

Mooncake festival aka Mid Autumn festival

Happy lantern festival! Last night, the moon was at its fullest, however it was not the brightest. Due to the haze. The haze now is so jialat that it has reached the unhealthy index level, and we should avoid having outdoor activities. Look outside your window and you can see a smokey scenery. And it has been quite warm these days, izit caused by the haze too? Global warming?
Anyway, i recall few years ago, such haze incident was so bad that school was terminated for a few days..did this happen before? Or it only happened in my imagination?

I guess kids are the ones who enjoy mooncake festival. They carry lanterns and play with candles. I used to do so too, of course, when I was still a young kid. I remember going to Chinese Garden before the 15th and collected free paper lanterns, they were so beautiful with all sorts of colours. Pink and orange were my favourites. Then on the 15th I would carry paper lanterns at home. It was necessary to carry the paper lantern gently, if not, the flame in the lantern would catch fire on the paper lantern. I liked how the lantern glowed in the house with all lights switched off. Then when I was slighlty older, our neighbours gave us lanterns which run on batteries. Got sheep, horse and some other animals lanterns..but they were less fun than the paper types. After carrying lanterns, we played with candles at the corridor outside our house. We melt the bases of the mini candles and lined and stuck them on the floor. Then lit up all these candles. So nice.. now reminiscing those times, I wish to go back to the past and experience the joy of a kid.

So as a young adult, i don't really enjoy Mooncake festival as much as a kid. This year we bought 3 pomelos and a tube of mooncakes. I love pomelos! I always called them " da da de orange" cos to me they are same as oranges just that they are bigger in size. And we are no mooncake-appreciators so we just bought $2.95 cheapo type that comes in tubes of 4 mooncakes(Ppl usually buy in box de). the main reason why we bought mooncakes is because my father must bai (pray) mooncakes to the Dua Peh Gong. Honestly, they don't taste good. Haha.














I gazed at the moon last night too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home